CD’s provide a fun and creative medium for stamping and scrapbooking hobby crafts. This cute little mini album is designed over CD’s and enhanced with rubber stamps to create a fun theme for fathers day. You can use this idea for any gift giving project or you can even dress us your traditional 12 x 12 scrapbooking pages with CD elements.
Materials Needed to Make this Craft:
- old CD’s
- Drill and drill bit
- Scrapbook paper
- Circle cutter and cutting mat OR
- Pencil and scissors
- Double sided tape
- Liquid glue with small applicator
- Dimensional glue for Family Buttons
Begin by drilling a hole in your CD’s. You can drill about 3 at a time, but be sure to mark the position of your hole so that it will line up no matter how many you use in your CD Mini Album.
Next begin cutting 5″ circles from your pattern paper to cover the CD’s. Mark the position of the hole and punch with a hole punch. Begin gluing the paper onto the CD’s. You may wish to cut part circles to introduce more than one pattern or color into your background.
Next cut out your photo’s into circles or ovals. Cut a mat for each photo and glue the photo’s to their mats.
If you wish to make a photo into a glass button you will want to do this now. You will need dimensional glue which dries clear but is shiny. Simply squeeze the glue out evenly onto the photo and allow it to dry. It can take up to 3 hours before it is completely dry. This technique gives a fabulous finish and adds wonderful dimension to your project.
Begin decorating your individual pages. Below are some different ideas you may find useful. This mini album has a fun family theme consistently created using lively sayings from the Live Well Clear Rubber Stamp Set.
To add a pocket to your CD Mini Album cut a half circle and apply double sided tape to the curved edge. Secure to your CD.
Apply ribbon to the top edge using double sided tape. If you tape is too wide for the ribbon you are using add another ribbon in a complementary color.
Create a card or tag to insert into the pocket. Embellish as desired. This little card uses the Mini Love Square Clear Stamp with the letters ‘I’ and ‘U’ drawn in on either side.
Insert your card into the pocket to complete the page.
TIPS AND IDEAS FOR CREATING AND FINISHING YOUR CD MINI ALBUM:
- Finish each CD off by running a fine bead of glue between the papers around the edge of the CD. Squeeze together tighltly, wiping away any excess glue that squeezes out. This will protect each page from being pulled apart as it is turned.
- Enhance each CD edge by daubing ink around the perimeter of the sealed edge. This tends to frame each page and make it more interesting to look at.
- Finish off the Mini Album with either a ribbon tied loosly to hold the pages together, or purchase a ring to store them on. Dress up the ring by tying ribbons around it.
Mini albums are a quick scrapbook project that is extremely rewarding and usually can be completed in a few hours. They make good gifts and can even function as cards. Whatever you use them for, you will be delighted with how they turn out!