This is a fun and glamorous card to make and it is ideal for using up little bits of paper that are left over from other stamping and card making projects. This card uses an iris folding technique to create layers and interest in the scenic design of the card.
To Make this Card you will need:
- an assortment of paper strips in a rainbow of colors
- glue and double sided tape
- Flower Clear stamps
- vellum paper
- clear tape
- iris folding instructions and the template for the ship (below)
- Basic Card Making Template altered for a 5×7 card
- Cut a frame from black cardstock. Make it about an inch wider than the iris folding pattern (about 3″x6″). Make sure the center of the frame matches the size of the iris folding pattern (2″ x 5″). Place the iris folding pattern behind the frame and secure with a small piece of tape to the top.
- Cut papers into 1″ strips that are no less than 2 1/4″ long. Fold down the long side making them about 3/4″ wide.
- Begin placing folded strips over the numbered spaces in the pattern. Secure each piece of paper with clear tape on the back of project. Cover numbers 1-3 with tan colors, numbers 4- 11 with blues and greens, 12-13 with the darkest blues/greys, 14-27 with strips of yellows, peach, rust, pink, violet and toward the top blue and green. Numbers 14-27 will look best with glitter added to each of them.
- To add glitter to a paper strip simply run a narrow length of double sided tape even with the folded edge. Sprinkle with irridescent glitter – it is semi transparent so the color of the paper will show through. Secure in place with tape. We have added glitter to about every third strip of paper in the water.
- You can check your progress by lifting the frame from the pattern and viewing the front of the frame.
- Add glitter to each strip in the sky.
- Create your ship using black and grey paper with red glitter. The steam can be cut free form or with the template (below) from vellum paper. Attach the ship and the steam by slipping them in between layers of paper on the front side of the project and securing with a dab of glue on the back of the ship.
- Stamp the tropical flowers onto white cardstock and color with chalk. Dab glue to the flower centers and apply gold glitter. Cut the flowers out at the edges and secure to the edge of the border with dimensional foam to add depth. Adhere a ribbon down the side and add a sentiment if desired to complete the card.
That completes this card making tutorial.