I absolutely love the result of this craft. Using 3 different sizes of paper for each page you create a sort of ‘pop-up’ book type of an effect. Of course star books can be used to create mini albums along any sort of theme or idea. This book has been kept simple to go with the Christmas story theme it carries.
Basic Star Book Assembly
- 6 1/2″ x 3 1/2″
- 5 1/2″ x 3″
2. Next fold each piece of cardstock in half which will make a 4″ x 4″ book. To assemble the inner color (the largest papers) use double sided tape and secure together at the front of each page as illustrated in the followin photos.
3. You may wish to decorate the front and back covers. I recommend that you use a ribbon that is wrapped securely around your book that can be tied to hold the book shut. If will function to also hold the book open when you want the star qualities displayed.
4. Now you can begin to customize your star book to your themes, photos, embellishments and images which you wish to use. In this book we will be working on a nativity Christmas theme.
Additional Materials You Will Need:
- Nativity Clear Rubber Stamps
- Black Pigment Ink
- Black Wire and Wire cutters
- X-Acto Knife
- Double Sided Tape
- Cutting Mat
5. Cut a 3/4″ border into your medium sized cardstock pieces on the top side and part way down both sides. Next, using your exacto knife, freely cut wavy hills into the paper as shown in the photo below. You can stamp on this layer if you wish.
6. Next design the smaller layer. In this book, this is where most of the detail is. Using the Nativity Clear Rubber stamps, design 7 nativity pictures that you can display in your star book. As you place your designs on the paper keep in mind that you want no less than a 1/2″ border around the images.
7. Cut the 1/2″ border into the top and two sides of the paper. Cut around the stamped design and allow it to blend into the border paper.
8. Assemble the remaining pages carefully. Keep in mind that you can only secure it to the book at the front edge of the page. This will give you the ‘pop-up’ quality, as well as a beautiful star design when the book is opened. Assemble the middle layer by centering the paper vertically against the front edge of the page. Secure in place with a strip of double sided tape. Do the same for the stamped papers, again, lining them up vertically against the middle layer and securing with double sided tape.
You may wish to embellish the pages of your star book more or leave them simple and plain.