CD’s and DVD’s are such an easy and relatively inexpensive Christmas gift to make and give that we thought we’d share some fun ideas for making your own, custom designed CD holders that can be personalized specifically to suit the recipients favorite colors and themes.
A favorite Christmas music CD holder can easily be decorated using an assortment of winter and snowflake clear rubber stamps. The above CD holder is easy to make just follow the instructions below for a quick and delightful project.
MATERIALS YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 colored cardstock – letter size
- clear rubber stamps of your choice (we used stars from the Stars ‘n Stripes clear rubber stamps
- 3″ of string or narrow ribbon
- sewing machine
- embossing ink and powder
- heat embossing gun
- eyelet and eyelet setter
TO MAKE A CD HOLDER (Instructional pictures below)
- Tear a 6 1/8″ x 11″ piece of paper from the card stock. Fold up the bottom edge 3 1/4″. Next make the fold for the top flap by inserting a CD into the fold you just made and measuring down from the top. The top flap will be approximately 2 3/4″.
- Using your clear rubber stamps decorate a border along the bottom edge of your top flap using embossing ink and powders. It is fun to use a variety of colors in your embossing to give a little more interest to the project. (You can find the technique for mixing colors in heat embossing at the following link – Embossed Metal Pieces. The technique is the same for metal as it is for paper.)
- Decorate the bottom portion of your CD holder using similar clear stamps with larger designs and pictures. Stamp with embossing ink and emboss with the color combinations you used in step 2.
- Next fold the bottom flap up into place and lay the top flap open. Sew up the sides of the holder using your sewing machine. Be sure to set the stitches fairly far apart to preserve the integrity of your seam.
- Set an eyelet in the center of the top flap about 3/4 of an inch from the edge. Secure a string or narrow ribbon through the eyelet tying a knot or small jump ring on the back side of the flap to prevent the string from being pulled all the way through the eyelet.
- Using a secure foam tape, secure your button to the bottom portion of the holder so that the ribbon can wrap around it to the closed position.
- Add a printout of the song titles you have included on the CD. Put the name of the CD on the outside of the holder and embellish with handmade paper, stickers, eyelets etc. to complete your project with a personal touch.
Steps 1-2 above.
Step 3 above
Step 4 above
Step 5-6 above
That is it! Happy stamping!!!